Sunday, March 16, 2008

Sticking to the script?

Silly me. I really don't know what I was thinking. In the middle of what was supposed to be a happy conversation but quickly became heated because I didn't offer congratulations to HER at the exact time I should have, I said it. I actually fixed my mouth to utter the words, "Look, if you already have in mind exactly what you want to hear and when you want to hear it why don't you email me the script!" Below, my friends, is the emailed script.

***start of email***
So that our interactions can always be positive AND effective, I compiled a few guidelines (the SCRIPT as you call it) for YOU to use:

1. Refrain from offering a solution to an issue unless it is warranted. Oftentimes I share things with YOU for the purpose of sounding off. Simple words of encouragement (i.e. "Sweetie, it will all be fine.") go a long way. There are however times when offering a solution seems feasible and it's appropriate to ask ME, "Do you want me to comment or just listen?"

2. Always create a nurturing, supportive, and loving environment for ME. This is especially key when we are working through difficult times. Be patient and control your emotions and feelings. Side note: NEVER ALLOW YOUR EGO, TO TAKE PRECEDENCE IN MATTERS OF THE HEART. BRUSH THAT HATER OFF.

3. Be a team player. Never allow ME to feel neglected. Always have MY back even when you may not agree with the decisions I made and/or how I chose to deal with things. There is no point in blaming ME for anything. WE need each other in ways that are incomprehensible.

4. Listen to ME. Trite in nature but fundamental for our relationship. Practice active listening. When engaging in a conversation with ME, make every effort to hear ME out before you speak. Control that impulsive voice inside your head that always wants to be heard!

5. Fight Fair. Deal with conflict in a way that you would deal with it at work: with poise, grace, respect, and as if someone were watching YOU (like a manager/HR would at work).

6. Say to ME and show ME, your QUEEN, how much you love ME...EARLY & OFTEN. There's just something comforting and assuring about loving someone that loves you back. Never lose sight of the moment you knew you were in love with ME.

These are just a few that come to mind, but stay tuned for others.
***end of email***
Four words: Lord, give me strength!

3 comments:

ViFinest said...

If only they could create a manual for all those emotions we're supposed to feel and express while they're speaking to us we could make out like bandits. LOL

Unknown said...

So is that what she's been trying to say for the last 5 years. Enlightening to say the least.

Unknown said...

Wow! So does SHE treat you like this? My primary thoughts while reading this were, "This is how I'd like to be treated".

I can see why you appreciate HER. She gave you relatively concise and specific rules for the road. :)