Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Will we ever make it back?

As you probably guessed by now I am from the islands, better yet a West Indian. And yeah, I did come to the States for the sole purpose of getting an education. Yeah, you can say I fell for the song and dance. What? You didn't know it was a song and dance. WOW! Here, let me break it down for you.

The Song and Dance
Roughly 15 years ago or so on a warm island far, far away from HERE I was docking my boat after some morning fishing (actually caught three large tuna and a dozen yellow tail) when I saw this guy just point blank staring at me. While I was washing down my boat he came over and introduced himself as an American investment banker.
The American complimented me on the quality of my fish and asked, “How long did it take you to catch them?”
I replied, “Only a little while.”
The American then asked, “Why didn't you stay out longer and catch more fish?”
I replied, “I have enough to support myself, my girlfriend and my side thing.”
The American then asked, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?"
I replied, "I sleep late, fish a little, have fun with my girlfriend, have some more fun with my side thing, hang out with my friends & family each evening where we drink rum and play dominoes. I have a full and rewarding life."
The American scoffed, "I am a UCF/Tufts/Brandeis graduate and I can help. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat you will buy several boats. Eventually you will have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you will sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You will control the product, processing and distribution. However, you will need to leave this small island and move to Orlando, then eventually mASSachusetts where you will run your expanding enterprise."
I asked, "But how long will all this take?"
To which the American replied, "15-20 years."
I asked, "But what then?"
The American laughed and said that's the best part. "When the time is right you will announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you will make millions."
I was immediately flabbergasted and started to stutter, "Mi-mi-millions!!…Then what?"
The American said, "Then you will retire. Move to a small Caribbean island where you would sleep late, fish a little, have fun with your girlfriend, have some more fun with your side thing, hang out with your friends & family each evening where you drink rum and play dominoes."

I will say it again, WILL WE EVER MAKE IT BACK??

No comments: